Thursday, June 4, 2009

For There Is No Other Way

This morning I got to have the pleasure of having a sleepy quiet time that gave me a lot of comfort. I was reminded of two key ways I can worship God - that is to trust and obey Him. These two actions are the few times we get to say 'yes' to God in our day-to-day life. I can trust God because He is my good Father. I want to obey Him because it is one of the few chances in my day that I get to follow Him. Clinging onto these two things means that we do not have to worry. I know God is my Father and I really do want to follow Him because of this fact.

Hebrews 12:5 (NIV)
And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,

Though the context doesn't sound too optimistic, but I am called the same name as Jesus. My son. Pretty awesome. If the Lord is with me, who can be against me? (*cough* Joel, why are you living life in fear... is that even living?)

God is good.

-----------
Lyrics to 'Trust and Obey' by John H. Sammis, Daniel B. Towner (1887)

Verse 1:
When we walk with the Lord in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will, he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Verse 2:
Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
but our toil he doth richly repay;
not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
but is blest if we trust and obey.
(Refrain)

Verse 3:
But we never can prove the delights of his love
until all on the altar we lay;
for the favor he shows, for the joy he bestows,
are for them who will trust and obey.
(Refrain)

Verse 4:
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at his feet,
or we'll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do, where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.
(Refrain)

1 comment:

  1. how do you obey God? how do i differentiate what messages are true and what messages are used by people in his name? You don't need to answer it. It was just a thought.

    ReplyDelete