Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wireless In the Philippines, Begone!

So this is my last post (or second to last post in case I post some thoughts tomorrow) while I have wireless internet access. Tomorrow, 4 of us: Jason McNeillie, Joel Lee, Jon Vickers, and Dario Torres (NJ) will be going to Antipolo (metro Manila). This means leaving the filipino navigator headquarters and going into a community. It has been a real blessing to be at the Navigator headquarters since we have been loved by the filipino navigators, and found an easy transition from western culture to asian culture (running water, internet, air conditioning)... but now it is time to move us on to where God had originially called us. THE CITY SLUMS!

It is pretty exciting because each one of us will be living individually in a (squatter?) home. This means a log of things.

  1. No more daily internet access - I probably will have to go to an internet cafe
  2. We have only known Dario for a couple days (and whatever implications that might hold).
  3. This is going to be pretty extreme culture shock since we will be with the filipino community 24/7 for five weeks... much more intense than the first trip.
  4. Rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - I am really happy about this, but that's because it is ideally and everyday staple for me... I don't know about the other three guys and how their diet will adjust.
  5. No more airconditioning - time for summer manila heat and humidity! whooo! (not a very enthusiastic one).
  6. The trip really begins tomorrow. It is going to be exciting, yet very new for each of us. I'm sure tensions will run high.
  7. Jason and I will be serving Willy (the Antipolo staff Navigator) opposed to James Kang (Chicago-based Navigator staff trainer).
  8. Everything will be reduced in quantity and size (the home we will be living in, utilities, facilities, etc.)
  9. It's going to be an experience where each one of us need to trust God in revealing Himself to us. There is no way we can sustain five weeks of living in the slums by ourselves. We might survive it, but seeing abundant life is a whole other thing.
I think that's all. While I am nervous, I am simultaneously excited that we really get to be invited to filipino culture. It's not going to be something that will be easy, neither will the experiences of the other two groups. Please pray continually that more of God may be revealed to us as we trust Him in humbling serving the Philippines, our neighbors, and each other. Thanks and see you at the next update!

2 comments:

  1. wow. you're putting so much faith in God. That's even a whole new level. I wish you the best of luck. This is going to give me quite a bit to think about.

    ReplyDelete